Here’s an exercise which allows people to experience the whole performance accountability thinking process in just 20 minutes.
2. Ask people to work in pairs, choose a program to work on, and answer the 7 Questions as described below. Point out that this allows for about 3 minutes per questions.
1. Who are our customers?
2. How could we measure if our customers are better off?
3. How could we measure if we’re delivering service well?
4. How are we doing on the most important of these measures?
5. Who are the partners who have a role to play in doing better?
6. What works to do better?
7. What do we propose to do?
3. During the exercise, walk around to answer questions and check to see that people are making progress.
4. Debrief the exercise by asking
– How many people got to questions 6 or 7?
– How many people here have ever said “This is a good idea, but I don’t have time for it.” Point out that they just did it in 20 minutes.
– What did you learn from this?